Friday, June 16, 2006

The Last Leg

Prior to the 11,000 mile and 80 hour trip back home I stopped in a few more cities of India. I arrived late one evening in Jaipur to find Chad watching television and lounging on a fluffy couch surrounded by cylindrical, soft pillows. The remains of potato chips, cookies, and soda scattered the room as the air conditioning roared on full blast. He had found a little slice of paradise in the furnace otherwise known as India. I had no hesitations in joining his escape from our surroundings. For a few extra rupees we enjoyed a night of luxury. The hotel even had a swimming pool, which we made sure was not left unused.

Unfortunately we had to leave our little Shangri-la the next day to see some of the sights of the city. The most fantastic sight was the towering fort which watched over the city from a high mountain to the north. The fort was built by the Mughals hundreds of years ago and used to fight off invaders, including the British. I gained a new respect for the Britons that day. By the time we hiked to the base of the fort we were so weakened and worn by the rough turrain and the sun's stifling rays that we nearly collapsed then and there. Those imperialists of the 17th century must have been pretty robust if they made that same hike and then drove the local inhabitants out. After a lengthy rest we explored the fort and only to be attacked by hordes of Indians wanting to shake hands and take pictures with westerners.


The rest of the city featured camels pulling carts, elephants wandering the streets and pigs by the bucketload sloshing in the sludge heaped on the street corners and gutters. Jaipur also has a McDondalds and I decided to give it a second chance although the smell of curry still lingered at the doorway. I enjoyed the experience a little more this time thanks to a strawberry milkshake and McChicken sandwich.

The final city to see in India was the nation's capital--New Delhi. I must have got on the wrong train, because it stopped in Delhi, instead of New Delhi. It took a little bit of orienteering, but with my exceeding intellect and a keen recollection of my scouting skills I was able to find the metro and make the lengthy two-stop, five minute journey to New Delhi.

I found a place to stay and just as I layed down to relax the lights went out and the fan shut off. In less time than it would take Einstein to solve a rubik's cube my arms had become sticky and my head was covered in sweat. I took to the streets, hoping that my movement would create some sort of breeze and reduce the heat. My hopes were dashed, but I spent the evening shopping and wandering the streets of New Delhi anyway.

The next day I attended the New Delhi branch, which was a bit bigger than I expected. I was quite glad to be a returned missionary, because talking with one of the elders in the branch, I found that 40 additional visas will be issued for Americans to serve as LDS missionaries in India. I don't envy whomever they may be, but I am sure they won't know any better and consider it the best two years of their lives.

All things considered, I would say this trip has been a successful adventure. We set out to do something which we hardly knew anything about and were glad to make it out with only some noxious diarhea to go with terrific pictures and a thousand stories.

Actually, I am the only one who made it out. Chad remains wandering, perhaps disappearing amongst the innumerable multitudes of India.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home